Topics in Geography (Higher)
In this video lesson Michael Maher looks at the Economic Elective in Leaving Cert Higher Geography. Michael specifically looks at Economic Development, Changing Patterns of Economic Development, The Global Economy, Ireland and the EU and Environmental Impact
In this video Michael Maher goes through 2016 Leaving Cert Higher Exam Paper, Section 1, the short answers section. Michael covers all 12 questions and goes through the solutions in detail
In this video Michael Maher goes through 2016 Leaving Cert Higher Exam Paper, Section 2, the Structured and Essay section. Michael answers all 12 questions and covers Geoecology in the Options Section.
Questions 10 - 12 and discusses Section 3 - The options Section
- Volcanic products. - Prediction of volcanic eruptions. - Volcanoes and people. - Prediction of earthquake - Richter and Mercalli scale
- Rock Cycle and Forming Processes - Overview of Igneous - Sedimentary and Metamorphic Rocks - The Value of Rocks to People - Mechanical and Chemical Weathering Processes
- Changes in Regional boundaries - Human and natural factors - Change in Political boundaries - Impact on Cultural Groups (Case Study Poland) - Interaction Between Regions, 2 Case Studies - Northern Ireland and The Republic - Basque Region and The Spanish Government
- Overview of The Main Types of Region - Examples from Ireland, Europe and Elsewhere - Physical, Socio-Economic (Core-Periphery), Administrative, Urban, cultural. - Useful summary table.
- Physical - Primary Industries - Manufacturing Activities - Population (European and Native) - Challenges facing Brazil
Contrasting the Dublin Region and Border Midlands West Region - Physical - Primary Activities - Manufacturing - Services - Population
- Physical - Primary Activities - Manufacturing - Services - Population
- Economic Development in Ireland - Economic Development in Belgium - Colonialism and Development - Decolonisation - Global Issues
- Globalisation - Multinational Companies - in the EU and Ireland - Patterns of Trade - International Division of Labour
- Trading Patterns Of The European Union - Ireland's Trading Patterns With The European Union - The Common Agricultural Policy - The Common Fisheries Policy
- Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources. - Environmental Impacts of Burning Fossil Fuels. - Renewable Energy and the Environment. - Environmental Pollution. - Sustainable Economic Development.
- Composition, Formation and Characteristics - Profile: Brown earth, Podzol and Latosal Types - European and Non-European Soils - Case Study: Ireland and Brazil - Human Influence and Soil Types
- The View of Development and Underdevelopment - Causes of Change in Development - Interdependent Global Economy. - Empowering People - Linking Economic Growth with Human Development.
- The Atmosphere and the ocean (Structure and Composition) - How The Earth is Heated By The Sun - The Transfer Heat To The Earth - Ocean Currents, Winds, Water Cycle - Patterns and Types of Rainfall - The Mountain and Valley Winds - Mistral and Chinock Winds and Climate Change
- migration patterns in Ireland. - Policies in Ireland and the EU. - Push and pull factors, refugees and asylum seekers. - Discussion of Ethnic, racial and religious issues
- The Problems of Urban Growth (Developed and Developing world) - Issues Such As Urban Sprawl - Urban Decay and Pollution in Shanty Towns - A Look at Cities of The Future.
- Population Density,Growth And The Population Cycle - Changes and Patterns in Population Distribution - Population Pyramids - Calculating Dependency Ratio - Causes and Effects of Overpopulation
- Locational Characteristics of Prehistoric - Locational Characteristics of Historic settlements - Settlement Patterns. - Planning Strategies in Rural Ireland - Central Place Theory - Urban Land Use, Social Stratification and Land Values - Three Models of Urban Land Use
- Overview of factors controlling mass movement. - Explanation of type of mass movement. - Human activities and mass movement.
- The Erosion Process - Deposition Process - Transport Processes - Mass Movement Processes
- Revision of Earth’s structure - Tectonic Plates and the Tectonic Cycle - Overview of Land Forms created at Plate Boundaries (Constructive, Destructive and Conservative) - Overview of Plate Tectonic Theory and Continental Drift (with reference to Ireland)
- Causes of Ice Age - Glacial Land Created by Erosion, Deposition and Transport - Glacial Budget - Fluvio and Glacial Land Forms - Glaciation in Ireland
- Important Land Forms Created by the Sea - How Rock Type Influences Cliff Development - Land Forms Created by Changing Sea Levels - Emerged and Submerged Coasts - Eustatic and Isostatic Terms explained - Human Interaction with the Coast - Coastal Protection
- Long Profile and Base Level Explained - Factors Influencing the Energy of a River - River Landforms Explained in Detail - River Rejuvenation Explained and the Landforms Created - Human Interaction with River Processes (Dams, Canal, Irrigation, Floods)
- Identifying the Main Physical Land Forms Visible on OS maps - Land Forms Created by Rivers, Ice and Sea - Useful Checklist of Land Forms you need to know
- Why Rocks Produce Certain Land Forms - Overview of Irish landscapes - Rock Types Focusing on The Burren, Wicklow and Giants Causeway - Landscapes Produced by Folding and Faulting - Types of Faults and Fold Mountains